Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Good Day Sunshine




I was in the midst of a big move when Cinephile Crocodile bestowed a pleasant surprise upon me, with a nomination for the Sunshine Blogger Award. Now that I’m relatively settled, it’s been tougher than I anticipated to jump back into the swing of things, but I couldn’t allow this recognition to go unnoticed. It’s always a blast to receive recognition from a fellow film blogger, especially one with the same penchant for alliterative blog titles. Just when I worry the toils of my labors have fallen into a black hole (along with an untold number of socks), here’s a gentle reminder that someone out there is paying attention (to the blog, not the socks).

As a recipient of this honor, it’s my duty to pass it along to some other worthy bloggers. Sure, the whole blogging award thing sounds a bit like the 21st century equivalent of  

a chain letter, but participation is strictly optional, and no earth-shattering calamity will befall you, should you decide to decline. However, if you choose to accept, there are some rules that are part and parcel to the nomination:



  1. Post the award on your blog.
  2. Thank the person who nominated you.
  3. Answer the 11 questions they sent.
  4. Pick another 11 bloggers and let them know they are nominated.
  5. Give them 11 new questions.


My responses to Cinephile Crocodile’s questions:



1. What makes you angriest about modern cinema?



Bloated, effects-laden productions that favor overblown action sequences over story. Too many blockbusters try to top one another with elaborate explosion-filled climaxes, full of dizzying CGI-laden scenes and questionable physics. More often than not, the end result is overdone, exhausting and boring.



2. What makes you happiest about modern cinema?



As much as I rant about the state of the film industry, it’s worth it to hang in for some of the independent gems that seemingly turn up out of nowhere. The Babadook, Ex Machina, and Under the Shadow are some noteworthy recent examples.



3. What is your favorite bad movie? The movie that is undeniably awful but you love anyway?



Plan 9 from Outer Space is cinematic comfort food. There’s not a hint of nutrition to be found, but it feeds my soul. Like many of Ed Wood’s other productions, there’s a level of sincerity to be found amongst the dreck.



4. If you had to be eaten alive by a movie villain, who would it be and why?



The idea of being devoured by any massive creature doesn’t exactly float my boat, but if I had to choose, it would be the island-sized fish creature from The Adventures of Baron Munchausen (1989). Sure, it’s not much of a life living in the shipwreck-strewn belly of the beast, but at least there’d be company.



5. Who would you want to play you in the movie of your life but who would be most likely?

Steve Buscemi (think Donny from The Big Lebowski) or Paul Giamatti (as Harvey Pekar in American Splendor) would be ideal candidates to play my self-effacing, persona. In reality, it would probably be an understudy from a small town dinner theatre.



6. What is your favorite movie quote?



Wow... There are so many, but the one that stands out would be:

“Life mocks me even in death.” (uttered by Griffin Dunne as David’s cursed friend Jack in An American Werewolf in London)



7. Name the sequel you'd most like to happen even though you know it's never going to happen?



I would love to see a sequel to The Fifth Element, but I suppose the closest we’re going to get is Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets



8. Sweet, salt or mixed popcorn?



I’m a traditionalist, so I’d have to side with salty popcorn.



9. Have you ever been haunted by a film? A film that was either so shocking/disturbing/poignant that you just couldn't get it out of your head for weeks?



The original Alien (1979) burrowed into my impressionable 11-year-old brain with Giger’s singular aesthetic, and of course, the nightmarish title creature.



10. What non-musical film would you most like to see turned into a musical?



Hellboy (directed by Guillermo del Toro, of course!)



11. Do you feel lucky Punk?



Well, actually, yeah. I kind of do.



Here are my nominees for the Sunshine Blogger Award:



Michaƫl Parent, Le Mot du Cinephiliaque: http://cinephiliaque.blogspot.com/

JT Williams, Blogferatu: https://blogferatu.com/

Stabford Deathrage, Stabford Deathrage Shoots His Mouth Off: http://stabforddeathrage.blogspot.com/

Joey, The Last Drive In: https://thelastdrivein.com/

Silver Screenings: https://silverscreenings.org/

Kristina, Speakeasy: https://hqofk.wordpress.com/

Lyz, And You Call Yourself a Scientist: https://andyoucallyourselfascientist.com/

Dick, The Oak Drive-In: http://theoakdrivein.blogspot.com/


Kerry, Prowler Needs a Jump: https://twitter.com/echidnabot          

Bill Meeker, Frisco Kid at the Movies: http://friscokidtx.com/




And my questions for you, dear bloggers:



  1. Name a favorite overlooked film that you can’t stop yakking about (even though other people probably wish you would).
  2. What book would you like to see adapted into a movie?
  3. Why do you write about movies?
  4. What’s one of your true passions outside of films or blogging?
  5. Going to the movie theatre: Is it a necessary component for enjoying films, or just a big hassle?
  6. What’s one of your fondest childhood memories of going to the movies?
  7. If you suddenly became unstuck in time like Billy Pilgrim, what era would you want to live in?
  8. Where do you stand on the physical media vs. streaming debate?
  9. What’s your least favorite film genre?
  10. Name a favorite film that’s not in the Criterion Collection, but should be.
  11. Name an acclaimed film that you’re ashamed to admit you haven’t seen.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you very much Barry! This is highly appreciated! Added to the fact that I don't have much time to be blogging right now (work, home improvement, snowboarding, and life in general) I am happily surprised that you picked me to be in your nominated bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! And I hear you about all the other stuff. Life has a habit of getting in the way. :) I'm not really back up to speed after my big move, but I wanted to acknowledge some great blogger. Best wishes to you and your family!

      Delete
  2. Hello there, Barry! :) Glad to see you all are settling in okay! We definitely miss you guys back here in Tex-ass, but one day we will all reunite. Reading this post, I was struck by how much I've missed the blogging community even if I didn't realize I was missing it up to now. As ever, thank you for the excellent brain food -- mine has been subsisting on junk food for quite some time now. LOL

    TTFN!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Thanks for stopping by my wee blog. Still re-adjusting to life back in the Northwest, but we enjoy it so far. As much as we like it here, however, there will always be a part of us back in TX (or is that just Stockholm Syndrome?). Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'll do my best to engage at least a few neurons from time to time. ;)

      Delete
  3. Hi Congrats on your award, noticed your post on KG Rants about reviewing 5 Easy Pieces with Jack Nicholson - as it wasn't suitable there, thought you might be interested in reviewing it for my Jack Nicholson blogathon, the film is still available so send me a message if you interested x Gill at Realweegiemidget Reviews, https://weegiemidget.wordpress.com/2017/01/02/jack-nicholson/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thanks for the invite! I would be honored to participate. Although Nicholson has been in many great films, this is my favorite.

      Delete